Hopefully it won't be so hot as to make it miserable. When I was...

1. 6,389 Posts.
    Hopefully it won't be so hot as to make it miserable. When I was much younger and lived in the USA I drove from North Dakota (ND) down to Denver though SD and Wyoming.

Not much 'civilization' in them there parts, but lots of nice scenery.

I then went from Denver to Fort Lewis, Washington and spent some time in Utah hitting a lot of the parks and caves along the way. Camped out at Salt Lake for a few days.

Also drove from ND to Arizona and out to California and then from Arizona down through Mexico and stayed there for a graduate exchange program at a private university.

Mexico was a blast, but couldn't wait to get the heck out of there when the program was finished. Drove from there back to Arizona and then back up to ND.

Those parts of the USA were generally safe back then, but don't know what it is like now with all the illegal immigrants moving up from down south, the meth labs, and general state of the economy.

On all those trips I only spent few days in hotels and the rest were at campgrounds, state/national parks, or just out in the middle of nowhere. Arizona had the best and most beautiful little campgrounds in state parks. others weren't so bad either. Of course, I also had some 'protection' with me when I travelled alone in the USA..............

On the other hand one of the worst driving trips I've taken was from Fort Huachuca, Arizona to Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Nothing much to see and nothing much along the way.

I also drove from ND to the East Coast and while there were a lot more cities and people, I liked the western part of the USA better. Never could understand those east coast types or the desire to live in those big, ugly crime ridden places.

I lived just outside of Fort Meade, Maryland and would drive down to the Pentagon for special duty once in while. If you haven't been to the DC area, you wouldn't believe the difference a few blocks can make!!!

The train/subway system was a much better way to get around in that part of the USA.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.