use 16 to calculate how much is enough for retirement, page-124

1. 2,678 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 235
    The Holy Grail benefit I think is the Health Care Card.

My Mother and Step Father were on a part pension and when he passed away and mum got all the assets she lost the part pension and the health care card I believe at the same time, not sure on timing of HCC but she definitely lost it either then or during the next round of pension entitlement changes.

Mum got the HCC back some time later.

I think if it is a case of you are going to fall under the asset test come pension time because of a low balance super getting the pension is a no brainer. Having high nett worth and not getting the pension, Why would you care?

It is when you fall into that borderline area that you have to weigh up your options. When on the pension you are constrained by a lot of government oversight on how you can spend the money, how much you can give to family, how long you can leave the country for and a few other inconveniences.

In the not too distant future I see them limiting super access to a pension or annuity payment and strict limits or purposes for lump sum withdrawals to stop people running down their super fund quickly so they can get a pension or part pension.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.