BTA 0.00% 57.0¢ biota holdings limited

vaccine being questioned, page-11

1. 2,027 Posts.
    I remember doing the research on this question a while ago, I've only got one reference at present, but it is clear that once you get influenza, treatment does not stop you developing a good immunity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10708809?ordinalpos=10&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
    "Surviving treated mice on day 21 had mean neutralizing antibody titers of 1:208, and withstood rechallenge with the virus at this time, indicating the initial virus-inhibitory effect also did not prevent the animals from developing an adequate humoral immunity to the virus."

In terms of immunity to future influenza: well, clinically it is striking how older people (over 40) have had much less severe infection w novel H1N1 than the young, and the over 60's have hardly been sick at all. It seems there is some degree of immunity given by multiple different influenza infections in the past. As you said, there is little difference between getting the vaccine or getting the infection (treated or not) in terms of immunity for any mutated "super flu" second wave which may or may not happen.

However, what we know for sure is:
    -influenza will continue to change and evolve to avoid our defenses
    -we will get future waves whether seasonal or pandemic
    -vaccines will often, but not always, be too late to be any good
    -resistance to tamiflu is much more likely than resistance to relenza

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.