SLX 0.40% $4.92 silex systems limited

The whole concept of renewables charging batteries and then...

1. zog
    2,958 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 895
    The whole concept of renewables charging batteries and then discharging them at night to another battery (in an Electric Vehicle) seems a weird concept - all it's doing is doubling the number of batteries.   Surely a much better concept is to load follow (as they do in France) with solar PV and nuclear generating during the day (with some short term battery storage for short term fluctuations in demand) and then nuclear (and also possibly gas) coming in at night.

Electric vehicles will have a dramatic effect upon night time base load (I don't think the sun shining at night is much of a possibility).  As for wind its far too unreliable (both when there is no wind and too high winds), it's an unreliable mechanical monstrosity (just look at your neaest wind farm to see how many are actually turning) that looks terrible and cuts up birds.  Wind turbines only last 20 years and if put near the sea (or in the sea) then are heavily corroded by sea water and last probably leas than half that time (and since they are remote thus difficult to maintain).  I'm not a coal advocate (see how many people pollution kills - let alone it green house contributions and the people killed (and injured) mining it).

I just can't understand why a greenie with half an ounce of sense (there are a few coming around) would not back nuclear as a clean source of safe base load power when EV's are going to demand much increased nightly electricity demand.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SLX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$4.92
Change
-0.020(0.40%)
Mkt cap ! $1.165B
Open High Low Value Volume
$4.82 $4.95 $4.80 $1.991M 407.2K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 11 $4.91

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$4.92 6209 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SLX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.