ALD 0.79% $32.80 ampol limited

The cyanide spill from a tailings disposal tank at the Simberi...

1. 115 Posts.
    The cyanide spill from a tailings disposal tank at the Simberi gold mine into the surrounding seas of the Tabar Islands in New Ireland Province is causing grave concern among the islanders and described as a major environmental disaster.
    ?The effect as of yesterday is of dead fish and a pig on my island of Tatau. People cannot use the sea anymore to bath. Tabar Islands are the jewel in the crown for the tuna fish. This is a major environmental disaster,? Lamiller Pawut, a surveillance operations officer from the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agencies said.
    Nambawan Supa managing director Leon Buskins said he was concerned that the mining operation has brought damage to the environment.
    ?Our pristine environment has more lasting value compared to the mine if the scale tips against the long-term preservation of the environment and its entire eco-system.?
    Namatanai MP Byron Chan said the National Government must be blamed for all the environmental damage on Simberi Island and immediately revoke Allied Gold Ltd?s mining licence.
    ?The Government has totally failed my people. This is not the first time. There are many issues that needs to be addressed by the Government. But most importantly is the environment that we care about and the livelihoods of the island people,? he said.
    He said the spill was a result of total negligence by the government.
    ?The people want the government to take a decisive action in addressing the many environmental problems faced by the island people.?
    He called on online agencies directly responsible such as the Minerals Resources Authority and the Department of Environment and Conservation to take action.
    ?I had several meetings with landowners and they have expressed disgust at the developer, Allied Gold operations on the island,? Mr Chan said.
    ?There was no proper environment assessment done. Rausim Allied Gold.?
    He said the provincial government and landowners were ready to take over the mine and want Allied Gold to quickly vacate the island.
    Deputy provincial administrator Veronica Jigede who first reported to us of fish, turtle, dugongs and whales dying said yesterday she will give an update today (Thursday) when officers return from Simberi.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ALD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$32.80
Change
-0.260(0.79%)
Mkt cap ! $7.816B
Open High Low Value Volume
$33.10 $33.10 $32.37 $72.85M 2.183M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1535 $32.78

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$32.80 150 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ALD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.