AVL 6.67% 1.6¢ australian vanadium limited

Vanadium in 2019, page-70

1. 9,136 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18355
    Many know, my view is that the primary current demand for vanadium is steel, and I don't see vanadium batteries adding to vanadium demand in any scale until the mid 2020s. 

I have been intrigued by this post, especially the 10 tonnes of vanadium required for 1 MWh of storage (and I suspect that when we talk 1 MWh we are referring to at least 20 years worth of the 1 MWh storage used more than once a day btw as that is the only thing that makes sense too me in a viability sense here with that number).  I thought I would do some calcs over a VB, so surely will stuff them up,  given I haven't got a clue what I am rabbiting about here as vanadium batteries are new too me and not something I have actually looked into myself as my interest in vanadium is in steel, so others might want to add to get debate here. 

The conclusion I come to is at US$15 per pound vanadium price (A$20 per pound) the 10 tonnes of vanadium in 1 MWh equates to a vanadium content of A$440,800 (before other capex) (m. below in the excel spreadsheet).  Note: wholesale electricity prices in NSW are about $90 per MWh, whilst retail prices are around $0.33 per KWh (or roughly $330 per MWh) hence why I say the data been shown of 10 tonne vanadium for 1 MWh essentially means 1 continuous MWh over many years etc etc.

If the vanadium batteries can 'be used' 12 hours per day (meaning the 1 MW capacity stores and releases 12 MWh  each day) (point c.), then the fuel cost alone is some   $0.006  per kWh produced over 20 year life (point p.) or $0.118 (if analysing on a 1 year basis) (point q).  Multiply these numbers by 1000 to get to the  the installed vanadium capacity for the 1 MWh capacity (and just for the vanadium and not the other capex in the battery and not sure how big and costly that is either btw).

Will do more research over time as I move from steel to batteries but thought I would provide this post and calcs to give context to the diagram in the post etc etc.  Obviously the batteries will be bigger and far bigger than 1 MW (which produces 1 MWh continuously based on discharge and storage obejectives, so the excel spreadsheet is just onteh 1 MWh example in your post etc  etc etc etc

All IMO
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1421/1421296-0372b6675b07b0cdbf99c47932230716.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.