Vic Labor Trainwreck on CFMEU Press Conference

1. 12,743 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1336
    Just when you thought the Vic Labor premier and responsible minister could not worsen their performance any further then this Sunday press conference comes along. Oh dear, what a disaster, what a train wreck.

Jacinta Allan is not only hopeless she is hapless and her minister Danny O'Brien is much, much worse.

It's time to cut out out the Vic Labor cancer.

*******************************************************************************************
    Jacinta Allan steps in to save Victorian minister Danny Pearson from trainwreck press conference

Jacinta Allan swooped in to save a bumbling Victorian minister who refused to answer whether he was made aware of intimidation concerns by CFMEU members on a Big Build project earlier this year.
    Jordan McCarthy and Alex White

2 min read
    July 21, 2024 - 4:41PM

539 comments

Victorian Minister for Transport Infrastructure Danny Pearson repeatedly refused to answer a question about a CFMEU meeting. Picture: NewsWire / Andrew Henshaw

Premier Jacinta Allan has been foced to swoop in to save a bumbling Victorian minister who refused to answer whether he was made aware of intimidation concerns by CFMEU members on a Big Build project earlier this year.
    During a trainwreck press conference on Sunday, Ms Allan stepped in to stop questioning of Minister for Transport Infrastructure Danny Pearson.
    The minister had dodged several questions by journalists about how much he knew after contractors met in May to discuss union behaviour occurring on Suburban Rail Loop sites.

Victorian Minister for Transport Infrastructure Danny Pearson spoke at the press conference. Picture: NewsWire / Andrew Henshaw

The meeting on May 9 was attended by 10 asphalt contractors, the minister’s adviser and the union.
    During the heated gathering allegations of intimidation and misbehaviour were raised and later passed on by Mr Pearson’s office to the Victorian Infrastructure Delivery Authority Director-General Kevin Devlin.

The Premier was forced to swoop in. Picture: NewsWire / Andrew Henshaw

However, on Sunday when asked whether he was told directly of any issues, Mr Pearson refused to answer on multiple times before the Premier came to his aid.
    What happened

Reporter: “What did that adviser tell you after that meeting?”
    Mr Pearson: “A meeting occurred in May involving my office with the ashphalters and those matters where referred onto the department representatives from the union.
    Reporter: “Yes, but what did you hear? What did your adviser tell you, because you ultimately referred it didn't you?”

The minister repeatedly refused to answer questions about the meeting. Picture: NewsWire / Andrew Henshaw

Mr Pearson: “The meeting occurred and it was referred onto the Director-General of the Victorian Infrastructure Delivery Authority.”
    Reporter: “Sorry, you haven’t told us yet what did you hear? What obviously concerned you to.....”
    Mr Pearson: “I wasn't in the meeting it was my office.”
    Reporter: “Yeah, but you were the one that referred it weren’t you?”
    Mr Pearson: “Well, ultimately the meeting occurred, involving my office and those matters were referred on to the director general of VIDA.”
    Reporter: “Sorry who referred it?”
    Mr Pearson: “Well the meeting occurred I was not there.”
    Reporter: “I am not asking that Danny. I am asking who referred it to the Director-General?”
    Mr Pearson: “I don't want to get into semantics here. There was a meeting that involved my office and the ashphalters as well as the union, and it was referred on to the department.”
    After several journalists asked similar questions, a flustered Mr Pearson refused to answer and Ms Allan stepped up to the mic and said she would take any questions regarding the state’s review into the “rotten culture” within Victoria’s construction.

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan was making an announcement about the West Gate Tunnel Project at Footscray. Picture: NewsWire / Andrew Henshaw

The tense exchange comes after multiple Victorian government ministers and the Premier denied they knew the extent of the issues.
    Last week, the Victorian CFMEU construction division was put into administration due to allegations of kickbacks, rorts and delates consorting with criminals.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.