Vic Police Getting Their Priorities Right

1. 15,031 Posts.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-04/pride-march-2024/103425544

I'm guessing the same public servants got out there and supported Australia Day by marching for it?

Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton has labelled the actions of a group of protesters who confronted police at the annual Midsumma Pride march as "abhorrent".

Chief Commissioner Shane Patton, who participated in the march, called the group of up to 50 people "an ugly rabble". He said there was a premeditated decision to throw paint at police participating in the event in St Kilda.

"We were subjected as we went along to threats, calling us killers. There was paint thrown at police, there were paint bombs thrown at police – which landed on police officers," Chief Commissioner Patton said.

"You don’t make those when you’re standing in the street at the time. You come premeditated when you do that."

Chief Commissioner Patton said police members attempted to push the group back, which he said had infiltrated police lines.

"Police were trying to push them away, and unfortunately there’ll be footage that shows that occurring. And it looks very confrontational. And that shouldn’t be the case," he said.

Police chief attacks 'rabble', defends force's involvement in march

Chief Commissioner Patton said the 100 unarmed members taking part showed restraint and he has "nothing but contempt" for the group.

"I was really actually pleased at the restraint that was shown under the amount of pressure that the Public Order Response Teams were placed under," he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

Chief Commissioner Patton also defended the involvement of police in the march.

"I admit we've made mistakes in the past and we probably will continue to in the future but that's why it's so important that we do participate, that's why it's so important that we show that inclusivity," he said.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.