Victoria declares state energy emergency after power station damaged by storms

1. 16,851 Posts.
    Looks like Victoriastan is about to experience the nirvana that 100% renewables brings.

The Victorian government has declared a state energy emergency after the Yallourn power station and coal mine, in the Latrobe Valley, was damaged in recent flooding.

Energy Minister Lily D'Ambrosio says significant cracks identified in the mine had put it at risk of flooding, and "the impact of that would be significant".

"We need to take swift action, and the best way to take swift action is declaring this energy emergency," Ms D'Ambrosio said.

The Yallourn power station supplies more than a fifth of the state's energy.

The government says the Australian Energy Market Operator has given it assurances there is still sufficient supply of power to meet the state's needs.

The declaration will allow Energy Australia to undertake emergency works and divert river water away from the mine, relieving water pressure on the mine walls.

In 2012, the Latrobe River entered the mine, shutting it for weeks.

Victoria declares state energy emergency after power station damaged by storms - ABC News

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.