with politicians, one has to always factor ego in - but, really,...

1. 81,498 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    with politicians, one has to always factor ego in - but, really, does it matter. We're stuck with the idea that we 'elect' people, so naturally - egotistical natures apply for the positions.

I would think that if Andrews had character flaws that affected the decision to go with the games - they would have been more reasons like political gain etc.

he said it was decided that it would work for Vic if they spread the glory out to regional areas ------ well, logically I can see a case for that.

where I see that it was flawed at base level was that it was for sport. Let's face it - if people are leaving regional areas and or those areas are weak - then building sports things isn't going to do a lot ------------------ yes, some areas have some things that attract some people - to do with sport or fitness - but really, you have to have an awfully good plan and you have to have people there already and want to come

Devonport Tasmania is a case for something like that - and it's got it's 'Splash' (link below) - but, that's for an entire community and it does attract people and people do use it and people do greatly benefit from it - ongoing. It's a wonderful asset.

But these things that come with big games ---------- pffffffffffft. There's an argument for them in a city - but, mostly they are very expensive duds.

If you really want to build something to be good for a community - AND if you want it to include the reasoning to be 'look at me' - then, you need to build something for art - not sport.

personally - I'd house and feed and educate my nation first. Kinda weird, but there you go

https://www.splashdevonport.com.au/
    Last edited by pintohoo: 19/08/23

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.