video ref

1. 749 Posts.
    Soccer is a game where refs can unfortunately decide (somewhat incorrectly at times) the outcome of a game.

What I don't understand is why they don't use a vide referee for crucial decisions that alter the outcome of a game. Such as:
    - Awarding a penalty (it takes 2-3 mins between the penalty being awarded and the actual kick). Surely in that time a video ref can either confirm or deny the penalty given.
    - Giving yellow/red cards. This, as seen throughout this world cup, can get beyond ridiculous. Surely players and fans would be happy to wait 20-30 secs to get a ruling from a video ref as to whether a card should be issued. After all, it can decide the outcome of a game.

I know going to a video will slow down a game, but fans and players I'm sure would be happy to have a fair system of refereeing, even if it does mean adding an extra 2-3 mins of stoppage time at the end.

I am, and always have been a huge fan of soccer, and I believe that a large majority of the people that have started to follow soccer due to Australia in the World Cup will now be bitterly turned away from the great game due to the fact that poor decisions can affect the outcome of a game. This has done a great disservice to the growth of soccer in this country, IMHO.

Cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.