it's interesting I guess ---------- but, predictable - and I...

1. 83,534 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    it's interesting I guess ---------- but, predictable - and I suggest when we got the ability to communicate freely world wide - that bullshit spreading ----------- both disinformation, misinformation, conspiracy theories and god knows what ----------------- was a given. All one has to do is to observe humans in a group - any group humans spread misunderstanding, lies, false beliefs - even with communication between 2 people - let alone 20 people, let alone 2 billion people put out some bullshit 'idea' - and by tomorrow, it will have spread far and wide - when something goes what we call viral - well - it becomes belief to millions whether there's a bit of truth in it or if it's total bullshit humans have a couple of strong character traits --- one is that they are prone to believe the first thing they hear, another is that they will easily believe the most unlikely yarns - even if it's totally illogical -and if it's against some group or individual they don't like - whoosh - it's gospel, immediately

This is worth a read -

Where am I???

''His warning was not of a takeover by some superintelligence, but of a threat he believed that nonetheless could be existential for civilisation, rooted in the vulnerabilities of human nature.

"If we turn this wonderful technology we have for knowledge into a weapon for disinformation," he told me, "we are in deep trouble." Why? "Because we won't know what we know, and we won't know who to trust, and we won't know whether we're informed or misinformed. We may become either paranoid and hyper-sceptical, or just apathetic and unmoved. Both of those are very dangerous avenues. And they're upon us."
    Although it may seem purely a matter for speculative fiction, a version of this scenario plays out every time someone takes a false claim to be the literal truth – or an artificial entity to be a human. From conspiracy theories to totalitarian propaganda, from fabricated evidence to ersatz humans, reality-rejection is a booming business. And there's nothing inevitable about the endurance of tolerance, scepticism or reasoned debate in a world suffused with such things. Civilisation, Dennett told me, "is more fragile than we realised" – and all the more precious for this. Despite its conflicts, injustices and hatreds, we inhabit an era where it is possible for a large proportion of humanity to "trust each other, have long-term projects, travel freely, raise families, live with very little fear. That's just wonderful. And we should preserve that. That social structure, really, at all costs." This is the great danger of AI large language models and counterfeit people alike: "that they will destroy the trust that we have engendered over thousands of years".

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.