vietnamese surge of asylum seekers, page-45

1. 29,733 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    just let them all in grahammac - from a link on the general thread

"Nonetheless, it is clear that most fighters are motivated by religious extremism — and they and their followers are impatient to start the fight even before they leave Australian shores. The Sunni-Shi‘ite sectarianism of the Syrian conflict is now causing violence in the sprawling suburbs of Sydney. The Shi‘ite owner of a juice bar in the suburb of Auburn says constant harassment and assault by Islamists forced him to close shop. In Bankstown, a chicken shop built by a Shi‘ite city councillor was firebombed two days before it opened. Last year in Lakemba, a 29-year-old man who made pro-Assad comments on Facebook got a knock on the door from a gunman who shot him twice in the legs, while the Sunni strongholds of Greenacre and Punchbowl have allegedly become no-go zones for Shi‘ite.

The violence has spread to other cities. In Melbourne, two prayer rooms belonging to the Alawite sect, a Shi‘ite store and a car yard owned by a Sunni have been firebombed. And in the most brazen attack to date, a group of 40 men stormed the Syrian embassy in Canberra and trashed it as staff huddled in terror.

Moderate Sunnis have also fallen into the firing line. NSW legislature hopeful Daoud claims thugs forced him to abandon his campaign for the seat of Auburn during the 2011 poll because he refused to support the war in Syria. “We could not distribute leaflets or stand in the street without getting attacked,” he says. “I received death threats against my wife and children, calling me a Shia pig even though I’m Sunni.”

It might be Auburn or it might be Aleppo, but it seems that slowly — and unbelievably — more and more Australians are being drawn into the Syrian war.".
    just can't wait for some more of that multi cultural excitement

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.