CCE 2.56% 3.8¢ carnegie clean energy limited

Virtual power plants, page-10

1. 4,200 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 786
    OK what I've found is that there's a lot of confusion in this area!

I found this article which lists 3 types of meter, and I think provides the a framework for understanding the broad characteristics of different types of meter.
    • Accumulation meters
    • Interval meters
    • Smart meters
    Accumulation meters: The old "spinning disc" meter that's been around for ever is an accumulation meter. It tallies up the power used on each circuit, and must be , Designed to record power consumed only (though I've read that they would go backwards if you had solar panels and were net exporting to the grid). There's an electronic version of this that also adds the ability to meter power sent back to the grid (solar panels. These meters were installed in newer houses, or upgraded from the older meters when domestic solar was installed. These measured both power consumed from the grid and power sent to the grid. They could be configured for either gross or net metering, but mostly only net metering these days. Both require a physical visit in order to read the meter for billing purposes. I don't believe any power networks in the country would still be installing these. This is what is installed at my house.

Interval meters. These have the ability to reporting power use back to the distribution network each 30 minutes, allowing time-of-use charging plans. They don't need a meter-reader to physically read a meter (although this may still be required if the consumer wants it, or if the meter doesn't have access to the mobile phone network to transmit usage data). These are the type of meter most likely being installed in any new dwellings, or when any sort of meter upgrade is required (installation of solar, or replacing a faulty meter). Victoria has them (called smart meters. South Australia is getting them (also called smart meters). Queensland and New South Wales have them or are getting them, in their case called "digital meters". Tasmania will be getting them over the next 20 years (also called smart meters). The ACT is getting them, called "smart meters", "interval meters", "advanced meters" or "Type 4 meters", take your pick. Western Australia is dabbling. a bit like Tasmania.

Smart meters. "The smart meter is more advanced than the interval meter as it allows remote communication between the electricity supplier and the meter, enabling the supplier to deliver efficient and innovative services to consumers such as realtime display of usage information and automated control of power levels in appliances such as air-conditioners".

What is not clear to me is whether meters currently being installed in Australia are "smart meters", or just "interval meters". For example, Energex in Queensland offers a service for controlling air conditioners that appears to fit the definition of a smart meter, but it is not clear that the function depends in any way on the type of meter installed, rather than by a separate device.

Getting back to the SA Tesla "virtual power station". There's almost no detail provided on how it will work, however there's no mention of any power distribution network being involved (they control the meters), or even that a smart meter will be involved, rather a statement that Tesla and the Govt are looking for a power retailer to team up with for the venture. My assumption from this is that the operation of the virtual power station will be controlled from the internet (Tesla batteries are internet connected). i.e. Tesla will have the ability to control when the batteries send power to the grid. So for the small price

I did contact Reposit, whose system appears conceptually similar. They have already implemented a "virtual power station" with the ability to discharge power from customer's batteries to the grid during periods of high power prices. Customers are paid $1 per KWh for this power, paid through the customer's retailer. The Reposit system does not require s smart meter - only a meter able to measure power sent to the grid (i.e. basically every grid-connected system with solar panels legally installed). Also, the mechanism used to control the discharge of power from customer batteries to the grid is via the (internet connected) Reposit control box, not the meter.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CCE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.8¢
Change
-0.001(2.56%)
Mkt cap ! $13.91M
Open High Low Value Volume
3.9¢ 4.0¢ 3.8¢ $2.541K 64.67K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 44046 3.8¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.9¢ 10684 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.19pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CCE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.