Vote Yes! - because, page-124

1. 769 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 88
    oh hey, I’m not here to start a fight. Just here to speak to a few mis truths and representations.
    you say I need to get out more? I spent years visiting oz each year with a bunch of kiwi co-workers, we generally viewed Australians as rather rascist compared to kiwis, and could very clearly see the average aboriginal had a much worse result than the average Māori of the great pommie colonialisation experiment. Some of us thought that was due to different stages of enlightenment within england at the time. By 1840, England had seen how destructive its earlier ‘kill and take’ policies were, and tried a new idea, a treaty with the indigenous. They intended for land areas to be ‘purchased’ by European settlers, it took 150 odd years for payment to be ‘mostly’ completed. Integrating indigenous with the ‘coloniser’ was done far differently in Nz than In englands earlier settled colonies. It has worked much better than other nations, no it’s not perfect, but better than elsewhere. Creating tolerance for language and culture has worked. Ever seen the all blacks play without doing a haha first? Found a government department not using an indigenous name? Have a yarn to some other kiwis, ask which country has the bigger race problem. It’s not the one where a treaty was formed, and indigenous have a very clear avenue to voice opinion in parliament.

Last edited by Inisavestor: 05/10/23

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.