A new push within Coalition ranks to hold a free vote in...

1. 6,113 Posts.
    A new push within Coalition ranks to hold a free vote in parliament on same-sex marriage by the end of the year has been dealt a blow by a special Newspoll showing Australian voters have swung in behind a national plebiscite.
    More Australians now support a popular vote on same-sex marriage than holding a free vote in parliament in a surprise reversal of the views expressed just 10 months ago when Bill Shorten and others vowed to block the plebiscite in the Senate.
    The Newspoll, conducted exclusively for The Australian, reveals that 46 per cent of voters prefer a plebiscite while 39 per cent want politicians to decide the outcome, with 15 per cent undecided.
    The results show a fall in support for a parliamentary vote since the height of the debate last September, when 48 per cent of voters wanted politicians to decide and 39 per cent backed a plebiscite.
    Coalition MPs yesterday stood by the government’s election commitment to hold a plebiscite after West Australian Liberal senator Dean Smith confirmed he was drafting a private member’s bill to legalise same-sex marriage, which he wants debated by the partyroom when parliament returns in August. In a danger sign for the Coalition MPs who are trying to ramp up an internal campaign for a free vote in parliament, the Newspoll shows a dramatic shift in support from Coalition voters for a plebiscite rather than a decision made only by politicians.
    While 47 per cent of Coalition voters backed a plebiscite and 44 per cent backed a parliamentary vote in the Newspoll survey last September, this changed to 54 per cent and 33 per cent respectively in the poll conducted from Thursday to Sunday. The latest poll comes after Christopher Pyne was recorded telling members of the Liberals’ moderate faction in June that same-sex marriage would happen “sooner than everyone thinks”.

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 3.12.47 am.png

etc,etc,

comment...
    Croatia, Slovenia, Bermuda, Slovakia - All of these countries have held national votes on the gay marriage issue, and every one of them rejected it.  In the case of Slovenia, the people's vote actually overturned legislation enacted by politicians against their will.  You didn't hear much about it in the news did you?  But I bet you heard all about the Irish vote because it was considered "successful", remember?  This only works one way, they keep pushing until they get the "successful" result they want.

Give us our plebiscite now.
    I have voted liberal all of  my life. if your circumvent the vote of the people by avoiding a plebiscite,  I will not vote liberal. This must be decide by a the vote of the people with a full and free debate, Then the outcome will be accepted by the people and myself.

mmmmmmmm....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.