Voting age reduction

1. 7,789 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 58
    I notice there will be a bill in 2023 to reduce the voting age to 16. Following on from the latest opinion polls in which..

Voters aged from 18 to 34 showed a leaning to the left at the election, with 31 per cent choosing Labor with their first preference and 27 per cent backing the Coalition.The trend since May has turned the gap into a gulf, with 41 per cent backing Labor and only 21 per cent staying with the Coalition. Another 24 per cent give their first preferences to the Greens, up from 22 per cent at the election.

If successful it will be very bad news for the coalition.

Personally I would have 16-18 as voluntary voting. Those that have an interest in politics and the running of the country can vote. Those that prefer their game consols or feel they are too young can be excused. There are a number of countries around the world that have 16 as voting age. Wales and Scotland for starters.

With elections 3 and 4 years apart many 17 year olds will be 21 before being able to cast a vote. By then some of these are in the armed forces, others married with kids . That is a gap too far.

The coalition will oppose it of course as the young 18-35s have left them in droves. I will no doubt hear the objections that "16 year olds are too immature!!" That is why I suggest a voluntary vote for those that have an interest in politics and government

Last edited by oldbull26: 29/12/22

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.