SFX 1.67% 30.5¢ sheffield resources limited

Hi again 2ic, Thanks for the reply.I'll just put forward some...

1. 204 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 413

Hi again 2ic, Thanks for the reply.

I'll just put forward some explanations that come to mind on some of the points you raised.

But before I do,

What I most strongly agree with is that in all likelihood SFX management have a fair idea about where ILU stands, this would be my bet, and as you suggest, my feel is that ILU has shown mild interest but at lower levels compared to the numbers that some analysts have been putting forward.

And I think that SFX is fairly reliant (unless someone else steps in) on ILU being the final suitor. I completely agree that over the time there has always been something holding the price of SFX at odds to what we are told it’s worth on paper. And I feel that the price at the current levels are very much priming folks to accept a lower bid than they have been conditioned to expect. Maybe bid that management are almost certain is the best we can hope for. And I feel the uplift story is what they will try and sell shareholders on - a valid point though, just look at RMS recently.

I don’t at all think that the above is the only option however it could be a fallback to the current partner process.

I can see the merit in a Suitor making a bid shortly pitched at something like 85c. By doing this they circumvent the formal partner process and establish their interest through a hostile takeover or bear hug at a low price.

The partner process will continue and if management a some point start to engage with the Suitor then it’s a fair indication that nothing more attractive has presented through the partner process.

At that stage the Suitor will know this and will increase the bid marginally I suspect. If a partner however does present through the formal process then that will be announced which will then give the hostile suitor the opportunity to increase the bid in such way that it sees fit to meet its objectives.

Anyway the long and the short of it is that we will see.

I suspect that you more than most would agree that Thunderbird is a monster with significant value given its long life, positive cashflows and strategic value. You have said more than once that the project will be developed, it has to, it’s hugely profitable. And given the supply/demand profile of mineral sands right now we are in an environment that plays in SFX’s favour. If mineral sand’s prices were weak and outlook soft then we as shareholders would be in a very different position.

That’s why I think in the end there will be competitive tension.

In reality I don’t think we’re too far apart, we both see the strategic value of the project and accept that in a competitive bid scenario we could see prices north of $1.40.

The difference is that I’m more bullish at buying at these levels than you are (which surprises me), maybe its just a matter of risk profile.

My overall point is that at 60-75c there is plenty of upside and really the downside is the downside of not being able to buy in at lower levels IF a CR is needed.

I’ve said it before in our chats, games get played, and I suspect a fairly big one is on hand at the moment.

I’ll go onto the points I wanted to clarify but there’s not much else new beyond this point.

Thanks for your feedback 2ic.

CLARIFICATION OF POINTS RAISED IN THE PREVIOUS COMMENT

1a) I can envisage a party who’s not an industry player stepping in to secure an investment that simply gets them a return on their dollar. I don’t mean that they would want to be project owners, but I can see how if money was given the chance to buy a significant percentage of the company at a price of let’s say 70c a share that could be an attractive investment, if as a result the project then gets to fully funded stage. This could be a single sovereign type fund or a consortium. It equates to a placement but is done using the existing partner structure and circumvents the traditional placement structures which would squeeze the company for a lower entry points given the SP. It would be attractive for a party to “pay up” in order to get the whole slice of new shares and establish themselves as a cornerstone investor. It’s feasible that when weighing up the various offers, SFX management would find a $200mil investment proposal at 50c -70c, attractive.

That’s what I meant when I said some parties will be just interested in a return on their dollar and not interested in the project from a mineral sands perspective -which was something you disagreed with.

1b) am I discounting a cost that can't be discounted?

I discounted the corporate costs of $89mil down to $79mil because I wasn't looking at a capital raising scenario but rather looking at reconstructing the NPV figure based on new information. Therefore as the costs will be incurred over a period of time (2 years) they can be justifiably discounted in the same way as capex costs which are expended over a period of time can be discounted, this to achieve a number which is most appropriate for adjusting an existing NPV number.

2) on that same note, given we are trying to guesstimate what the new NPV is I saw no reason in adding in another changed variables which was presented by the company in that same announcement, i.e., change in commodity prices.

In the announcement of 19 October the company stated that the March 2017 BFS used prices of $1381 (premium zircon) and $183 (LTR Ilmenite).

They then stated the the TZMI long term forecast from March 2018 as $1435 and $208 respectively and added in the fact that the spot price in October 18 was now at $1640 for premium zircon.

All that information means that if the actual BFS was being updated a modest increase of the BFS commodity prices (of circa 7%) would be reasonable given the increases in the TZMI long term forecast, plus the continued increase in zircon spot prices, relative to the 2017 BFS numbers).

I estimated that an increase in prices of 7% would result in at least a 10% increase in profits.

Admittedly NPV models are complex and so costs may go up and so on and its true that we are not adjusting those, however if we are willing to adjust for capex increases only, then that too falls fowl of the same argument that many other variables exist, so given the lay of the land, why not settle on including a back of the envelope update to all the variables mentioned in the announcement, it’s reasonable, no?

Continued in next comment......

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SFX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.