Welcome weekenders,Another week over, and from reading the...

1. 1,174 Posts.
    Welcome weekenders,

Another week over, and from reading the post-4pm posts, a profitable ending for many. KR even moved to partake in interesting positions with smokey sticks. Go & watch the footy KR, we need Carlton (or anyone) to beat the Pies.

At my end I ended up marginally after cutting my losses on some holdings and moving to a winner (for a change) in prr. May end up holding this for some time, but will keep moving my stop loss price upwards. Changed it five times today. Will probably get caught out on a mini dump(??) and have to pay more if I want back in, but at least I will have locked in some profits.

Hope Winnie2 made his profit on kik/kiko/kikoa. Noticed that they had a rise at some stage this week. Runitup must be stoked with ayn - kept plugging it, and should now be celebrating some solid gains. Don't forget to take some profits out.

Maybe a theme for this week which I inadvertently started a serious debate on on another thread during the week. Tax and share profits. Hope w2 can add to the discussion as a fellow bean counter. My proposition was effectively that you could treat some shares as trading (pay tax on profits, and claim losses against all other income), and some other shares as long term investments (pay tax on dividends, but capital gains tax rules apply to profits & losses on sale). A number of the posters seemed to be under the impression that anything held over twelve months automatically gets the cgt discount of 50%. I was trying to point out the difference between trading as a business, and one-off long term holds. Not sure that I got my message across, nor perhaps that I should have bothered offering any advice at all. Anyone care to comment or offer an opinion on tax matters with shares. It affects all of us, and there are many variations as to tax treatment, as it all depends on an individuals circumstances, record keeping, and diligence in following the market. Would love to hear some views on this topic - which could lead to the briefest and driest thread in HC history.
    Other than that we could discuss our addiction - for those of us who have one - to following the market. I have one mate who names the shares after looking at car number plates (in Vic we start with three lettrs)! Disturbing lad - should send him to the TAA meetings.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.