BPT 0.33% $1.51 beach energy limited

w hy big sellers about ?, page-23

1. 8,877 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 20
    The green bullying has started on CSG or should I say continues with more urgency as they context with the country vote.

Worried, Peter?
    Northern Star, Lismore NSW by Cr Simon Clough
    14 Apr 2012

DO I detect a hint of alarm in Metgasco boss Peter Henderson’s response to Lismore City Council’s decision to hold a poll on CSG mining at the local government poll in September? What Mr Henderson is really concerned about is that a poll will conclusively demonstrate that Metgasco and other CSG miners will be shown to have no "social licence", meaning that the community is withdrawing any consent for CSG mining. Without a poll the question of whether CSG miners have community support will always be contested, with CSG opponents being labelled as a noisy minority.

Mr Henderson professes concern for the cost to Lismore ratepayers of the poll. If he is so concerned will he guarantee that his firm will repair all roads damaged by Metgasco’s drilling trucks and other heavy equipment? Roads in other parts of the state have been totally destroyed by drilling equipment with no compensation from the corporations responsible. Will he also guarantee that there will be no pollution of our waterways and aquifers? Repair of damaged roads and restoration of our pure water (if this is possible?) will cost far more than any poll.

Like all councillors I am concerned about the proposed cost of the poll, but I am confident that council will be able to negotiate a much more reasonable cost from the Electoral Commission.

Mr Henderson points out that a poll is not compulsory. At the poll conducted with the last election over 82.56% of voters recorded a vote and that was on the topic of constitutional recognition for local government. I believe that the figure for the response to the CSG poll will be over 90%.

Councillors are well aware that council is not the consent authority for CSG mining. The majority of councillors are seeking to send a strong message to miners, other councils and other levels of government that Lismore City Council is prepared to take a strong stand for its community.

CR SIMON CLOUGH, Our Sustainable Future Party.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BPT (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.