Yes, the planned new 100MWh of battery storage will assist but...

1. 23,055 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8
    Yes, the planned new 100MWh of battery storage will assist but as they have not yet gone to tender, the timing & reliability of supply remains the problem.

The article actually says more than "overloaded at times" (those are your words ?).

"The most congested line is 220 kV transmission path that loops between Ballarat – Horsham – Red Cliffs – Kerang. But all parts of the line are expected to have “weak” system strength over time.

And this is the problem. AEMO has received enquiries from more than 5,000MW of potential projects in the area, and 80 per cent of these enquiries are linked to the weak 220kV and 66kV lines. (See graph below).

If the issue is not addressed, more than half the output may have to be curtailed, forcing the state to import electricity from interstate imports."

So, the article does nothing to say that the battery uptake that is to come will be in time. I can't see where the article says that updating the lines is "not a big deal".

So, yet again, I can state that I agree with RenewEconomy that coal fired power might be nearly done by 2050. The transition just has to be driven by economics & not dogma.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.