I agree best to keep it civil. Let MP's shout at each other if...

1. 2,299 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 90
    I agree best to keep it civil. Let MP's shout at each other if they feel they must. Better they didn't.

The Muja A&B concept was good, just afflicted by the very tight labour market in WA at the height of the boom.

i.e Get 4 x 60MW steam turbine generators back into the market for a few years until no longer needed, presumably due to growth in massive battery capacity and more primary harvesting of wind, solar, biomass, hydro etc energy.

Verve Energy, the State owned generator were forced to run large (Frame 9) Open Cycle GT at light load, where its already low efficiency is much lower, simply pick up the load when the wind ebbed.

This is very expensive in maintenance and GHG's probably more than the GHG's saved by the Wind turbines.

The 4 ~200MW Muja C & D units were recently modified to cope better with double shifting, to cater for a morning peak and an afternoon peak, and a dip in nett fossil demand during the middle of the day when solar is high.

The WA market spends a lot on Capacity payments and 7 new open cycle GT's were purchased and installed by Verve and another operator to meet peak demand, with a safety factor.

Hence the Powerships are an attractive option, where it is desired to quickly retire coal fired plant, and have available replacement combined cycle (high efficiency) gas or LNG fueled generation available for as long as needed. When no longer needed, the ship is simply released, and no capital has been sunk into a white elephant asset no one wants to own or operate.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.