STX 0.00% 20.5¢ strike energy limited

WA Govt . gas decision delay, page-241

1. 8,698 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3338
    @618 I thought about this scenario myself.
    It doesn't have to be Gina to profit from such a tactic.
    All these shorted shares are being accumulated by someone at below-bargain basement prices (i.e. the implied value of WE from the WGO takeover and the implied value of Walyering from the TPD acquisition).
    When it comes time for the superfunds and other index funds to offload their holdings following the exit from the ASX 200, someone accumulating at these levels could bid up the price as the shorters attempt to re-acquire the shares they need to cover their positions. The downside risk would be minimal because even if they bid the price up to say, 22 cents, it would still be trading below the book value of WE and Walyering. And on average, they'd be making a great capital gain, assuming a large part of their stake was accumulated at current prices. Then, the shorters might have to cover the remainder of their positions on-market.
    My question is: what is the exact mechanism by which the superfunds and index funds offload their shares when companies exit, for example, the ASX 200?
    Is there some sort of over-the-counter auction held? And once this is finished, are the shares transacted then as large after-hours S3 trades?
    If so, as you say, it seems like a perfect condition for a party (including Gina) to mount a surprise short attack and acquire a significant stake on the cheap, as well as lock in a significant capital gain.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
20.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $587.4M
Open High Low Value Volume
20.5¢ 21.3¢ 20.0¢ $1.823M 8.814M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 1249073 20.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
21.0¢ 269971 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
STX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.