WA Labor criminal incompetence

1. 62,424 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 313

16404b7f-121e-3ae0-bab5-452d51441d95.png

There’s a saying that "A river cuts through a rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence."

It’s a good reminder that continuous effort, determination, and perseverance lead to change.

And this week I am happy to report some good news on the benefit of persistence.

Last week in Parliament I wanted to follow up once again on how many prison fugitives are still on the run.

Following my latest question, the good news is that the number has reduced to 40.

This is heartening.

And a far cry from when I asked the WA Labor Government about this issue last year.

Then, the senior Ministers and officials didn’t even know and asked me to put the question on notice claiming they would need to go away and manually analyse each case file.

The revelation that the Government was unable to provide information on the number of prison fugitives who remain on the run was nothing short of astonishing.

How can those responsible for law enforcement not have a grasp on such crucial information that directly impacts the safety of West Aussies?

Clearly annoyed at my repeated questioning, the Police Minister said in November that my questions were “diverting a large amount of the WA Police Force staff resourcing from operational priorities in answering [these] series of questions on return to prison warrants.”

So instead of embracing accountability, this Labor Minister chose to insinuate that I’m to blame simply because I was asking the question that needed to be asked!

This Minister should have been more focused on the fact that a comprehensive and up-to-date database of parolees and their status is essential for effective law enforcement.

And that the failure to provide this information highlights systemic shortcomings that demand immediate attention.

But that’s the key takeaway, isn’t it?

You deserve elected representatives who will hold the government to account and persist despite the pressure.

Parliamentary sessions provide a platform to voice concerns, seek information, and hold the government accountable.

And while asking questions is a fundamental aspect of this process, it’s the often-overlooked follow-up that truly holds the key to meaningful change.

Asking questions is the first step in uncovering the truth behind government decisions and actions.

However, the initial response may not always reveal the complete picture.

West Aussies deserve to know that those they’ve elected will be judicious and vigilant.

And the proof is in the pudding.

In August, I found out there were 63 fugitives on the run, some for as long as 18, 25 and 36 years!

Encouragingly in September, the number on the run had reduced to 50.

In November there were 46 missing prison fugitives.

And now we’re down to 40.

If not for my repeated questions, senior Government Ministers still wouldn’t know how many prison fugitives are on the run.

Parole is a vital component of the criminal justice system aimed at rehabilitation and reintegration into society.

When individuals violate the terms of their parole and become fugitives, it poses a direct threat to public safety.

So while this downward trajectory is good news.

There are still 40 at large.

And 31 of those have been missing for more than 12 months.

A responsible government strives for a criminal justice system that transforms individuals while they are detained but also effectively manages and monitors those entrusted with conditional freedom.

And until that happens, I won’t stop asking the questions that need to be asked.

Yours sincerely,

b5140bec-8668-caa4-7184-a5abae137d13.png
    Nick

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.