wally lewis was great....but..., page-9

1. 12,609 Posts.
    "read the play two and three tackles before it happened..."......lol. Good grief, you really were sucked in by the hype. Put that assertion to Lewis and he would burst out laughing. I don't buy that one at all, and I would challenge you to logically explain how any being, other than some divine one, could do that.....lol. That is tantamount to saying that he knew what every individual on the field was going to do for the next 20 seconds. Sure he could read a passage of play well...I accept that.

I agree that Lewis was viewed as a good leader by his players on the field, because they hype that surrounded him made him seem invincible. Fact was, he really wasn't a very wonderful chap in those days from first hand reports. He is a much better person these days. A really good leader has great people skills, and Lewis certainly didn't have those off the field.

However, he was a very good footballer.......a punishing defender, and inspirational to his teammates because of the fact that the media built him up to be larger than life. Fair enough....I accept that his players would run through a wall for him, but that's the way it was.

Even so, it could be argued that his leadership skills were in some ways irrelevant to his personal football skills.....but let's not go there.

As I said in my last post....Have a look at the highlights of his career, and you certainly won't see him do anything like what Slater, Fulton, Langlands, Bowen and scores of others are capable of in attack.

I still believe that his abilities were not as substantial as the hype that surrounded him. And I believe the same with that Johns cocaine sniffer. And there's plenty who agree with me there!!

How anyone can admit to taking drugs throughout his career, and then have the title of 'legend' bestowed upon them, is simply mind boggling. And a joke.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.