Warmest Turnbull Faces Revolt, page-16

1. 37,624 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Originally I was in favor of new replacement of Hazelwood . Use the existing mine , electrical connection to the grid etc . There is a huge resource of brown coal right there .
    I also felt it would have made for a smoother transition from the old power station .

However , my view is starting to change . Thanks to the Turnbull government getting involved , pricing has stabilised , suppliers have made commitments of supply , AEMO now has a plan for the future , etc .

Unlike previous governments ( Abbott and Labor ) where nothing was done .

The other thing to note is we didn't run out of power last summer and given the sheer amount of renewables that are being installed , we shouldn't run short going forward . I imagine it will only be a year or two where we won't need to have industries back off in extreme peak periods . In fact , it may well swing the other way that in very hot sunny periods the price of power might go negative as has been experienced overseas .
    Now there are proper plans in place to replace power stations like Liddell well before they are shut down . Something that should have been done in SA .

It has taken a Turnbull government to get that done .

So it will be interesting to see the business case for a new Hazelwood . Will we actually need the power ? How long will we have to wait to get it ? How will it affect power prices ? How long will it be before it will redundant ?

Some big questions that need answering .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.