Occam :) I don't think Buffett (as I understand this) was trying...

1. 7,449 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Occam

I don't think Buffett (as I understand this) was trying to foster the Active/Passive debate. Needless it will go to the debate, by implication.

I say he only sought to focus on whether the Asset Managers had the vouched capability to add ANY value at all.

Hence the Funds Selected (the various Funds were kept anonymous - due to the potential negative outcome of looking bad in front of Buffett/Munger) were of varied style, like say Fund of Funds, Macro, Top Down, Interest Geared/Risk adjusted/Hedged, Risk Diversified, Foreign/Domestic

The criteria was more the esteem of the asset manager, rather than their styles. "Give us what you have got..." rather than about the benchmark, (The recapitalistised S&P 500 which metric we all know).

None even made that!...which is the fish in the barrel approach to asset management, I say?

Doubtless all fees & bonuses where duly paid to all the managers.

An approach that demands an often somewhat offensive 'university reared chicken', with cufflinks, designer suit, immaculate dentures, metrosexual deodorant and a rather flashy doily pocket square to achieve any sort of real return.

Or s.i.g.

----------------------------------------------

You give your cash to the average director of a company in the hope that he'll return you in excess of 7.5% p.a. without diminishing the real asset either.

Give your cash to the BHP the directors & their collective fees are less that 0.1% p.a. to afford you, 8.9% p.a. growth on book, and 3.7% (before dividends)

Give your cash to an asset manager, and their fees range (today around 1.5% before expenses to conventions, mistakes, admin fees) and at best you can hope for 6.5% p.a. gross!

In other words - you are paying asset managers nearly 2%, (on average i.e. X20 the going rate ) to lose you 6% per annum!

Asset managers are the closest thing to legal fraud.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

b.t.w. Buffett comes down hard on the risk management achieved by holding cash & treasuries, which over 10 years underperformed.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.