water levels rise at alarming rate in victoria, page-24

1. 5,732 Posts.
    That's an interesting observation, Chrysalis. Do you recall if it applies to all of Africa / all of Australia - or just to specific regions in either place.

Zzedzz, you appear to be conflicted. On the one hand you seem to accept the science that describes past climates, particularly glacials and interglacials as well as smaller fluctuations in between. Knowledge about this has required very difficult work by climate scientists, looking at a wide range of different indicators to work out when, where, over what period and how widespread were climate fluctuations in the recent and distant geological past. The same science explains what we are seeing today. Yet even though that is much, much easier to observe and measure (compared to deductions about past climate changes) and corroborate and is found consistent with deductions of past climates and climate changes, you seem to find the facts about the current climates and trends much more difficult to accept.

I have to acknowledge that some people find it difficult to accept plain factual information for a variety of reasons, not all of which are easy to explain - maybe it's because well-known facts can appear to conflict with deeply held emotions or ideological beliefs. I don't understand this phenomenon (AFAIK it's mostly restricted to the human species) but the evidence is clear so it would be foolish of me to refute it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.