"ahh the thunder box in australia - "I could tell you stories of...

1. 17,940 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1004
    "ahh the thunder box in australia - "

I could tell you stories of thunder boxes.

I used to deliver milk morning and afternoon, before and after school. It was in the days of the horse and cart and when tradesmen used the back door. Quarter acre blocks with the thunder box well down the back yard. It was also commonplace for a Paw paw tree to be growing beside the thunder box. Paw paws like nitrogen fertilizer so often I would catch someone "watering" the tree or at other times someone was caught out not making the whole trip and squatting on the grass outside the back steps.

There were also thunderboxes without the proverbial can but over a hole dug in the ground. When the hole was near full the "box" was shifted to a new spot and a fruit tree planted over the old spot. It was usual to pour kerosene down the whole at times to stop blow flies breeding. This created problems when a smoker dumped a lit ciggie in the hole. I was told of another incident where petrol was used and it was the cause of a fire that destroyed the dunny.

I also worked in a place where a lady's toilet with a "brace" of boxes was not far from my office window. The smell got a bit much. To get it shifted I told a couple of the office girls not to be so noisy when using the toilet. They got it shifted by threating a strike unless it was moved to a new location.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.