watso's vacuum flask collection, page-2

1. 17,613 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3682
    Hello watso

… With 40 vacuum flasks it seems to me watso could provide his students with at least an urns-worth of hot  water  at tea break  — should watso host an RTC foods solar-cooking demonstration.

I do not have so many as that.
    But some  are old enough to have glass liners
    And the  most intimidating of the ancestor flasks is this junk shop rescue:
    4C08654A-BAD5-4171-85B4-D5BF47455C0A.jpeg
    It was already the scary beast of flasks when I bought it - big, heavy and very inscrutable  … and I certainly would not want to have an argument with it.

But I did :/.
    - As its’ original cork was perished, I replaced it one that *almost*  fits but falls out when I hold my  flask upside down.
    The thermos says *no*.
    It clearly remembers the days when it was part of the kit of someone like Sir Edmund Hilary, and it is not prepared to compromise, and its’  unhelpful attitude means I havenever road tested it.​

-It normally lurks in the bottom of a sink cupboard  except  I bought it out to show you.​

Watso and further to that (perennially interesting)  subject of vacuum flasks, I found a thermos recipe site today I had never seen before - from Singapore .
    It has  many unusual recipes  and  I thought you might be interested too…

Here is one for an icecream experiment if you happen to have a food flask  amongst your thermal arsenal and the ingredients and incentive come to hand

Cheers

https://www.thermos.com.sg/recipes/desserts/mango-coconut-ice-cream/

MANGO COCONUT ICE CREAM

Ingredients:

• Mango, 150 grams (cut into cubes)
    • Lemon Juice, 8 grams (about 1.5 teaspoons)
    • Honey, 20 grams
    • Light Cooking Cream, 100ml
    • Sugar, 20 grams
    • Sweetened Coconut flakes, for garnish

Tools:

• Bowls, 2
    • Plastic Wrap

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, mash mango cubes into mango paste, add lemon juice and honey, and mix well. Set aside.
    2. In a separate bowl, whisk sugar into the light cooking cream till fluffy.
    3. Add both mango paste mixture and cream-sugar mixture together, stir well and air-tight with plastic wrap.
    4. Pre-cool the Thermos® Food Jar by adding small ice cubes and salt, immediately close the lid tightly, give it a good shake and let it sit aside for 1 minute. Discard ice cubes and salt.
    5. After 1 minute, open Food Jar and immediately place in the air-tight with plastic wrap mixture, small ice cubes and salt. Immediately close the lid tightly, give it a good shake and let it sit aside for 1 hour.
    6. Before serving, garnish with sweetened coconut flakes.

Notes:
    • The endothermic effect of salt accelerates the melting of the ice, and rapidly cools the temperature to below zero. This allows the ice cream to be moulded in a shorter time.
    • This recipe is based on using a 0.47L Thermos® Food Jar. The above ingredients quantity can fit into two 0.47L Thermos® Food Jar. You may adjust the ingredients quantity accordingly.
    Tips:
    • It is recommended to use small ice cubes and plenty of salt. Snowflake salt is preferred.
    • It is recommended to use a thicker plastic wrap, wrap tight and discharge all air.

Photo and recipe courtesy of Thermos China.
    Last edited by sabine: 16/10/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.