WDS 0.14% $28.21 woodside energy group ltd

This broad market rally in January has taken the experts by...

1. 700 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 842

This broad market rally in January has taken the experts by surprise. Around Christmas time on CNN out of the US the financial commentators were unanimous that markets would be wobbly through the first half of 2023 and then pick up in the second half. At the moment they’re a bit red-faced on that call.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5005/5005114-f5788c012cbe9d8ab832413b37fc1b00.jpg

The broad market rally is not unwelcome (as long as you're reasonably well diversified)….however I don’t trust it. While energy stocks, and WDS in particular, has been left behind a little in this rally, I think by year end we’ll look back at another year where energy (and WDS) has again strongly outperformed.

The WDS outperformance ultimately may well be because other sectors retrace and WDS holds its ground ….however with the near certainty of two bumper dividends this year - I’ll take that.

Further, Brent in the US$80’s, whilst obviously not as lucrative as at $100 is not all bad. Things have quietened right down about ‘prices at the pump’ in the US so oil companies can quietly go about their business generating rude profits without causing so much political handwringing and interference. (eg Biden releasing from the US SPR and governments around the world dreaming up new ways of levying and taxing O&G companies)

Even here it’s been noticeable that the noise about petrol prices has dropped off as punters have been quietly conditioned to $1.80 per litre - levels that were causing an uproar not so long ago.

So the US$80’s for Brent might actually be a bit of a sweet spot.

Looks like the WDS sp might bump around in the mid $30’s for a little while yet - but I still like the chances of a $40 sp this year and dividends rolling in on a 8%/9% yield look a near certainty too.

WDS continues to hold a very firm place in my portfolio.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$28.21
Change
-0.040(0.14%)
Mkt cap ! $53.56B
Open High Low Value Volume
$28.53 $28.57 $28.21 $128.2M 4.533M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 63674 $28.21

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$28.23 18595 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.