we all let andrew johns down, page-10

1. 9,286 Posts.
    Snacks. Andrew Jones is a rare athlete, who has "psycho/physical intelligence" that is beyond conscious thought or intention. That is a gift that goes beyond the rational or the personal.

He is an athlete and a rugby league player and that is all. He is not Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi or some type of ethical "role model".

The greatest irresponsibility I would consider are people looking for moral "role models" in athletes. Without demeaning athletes, your attitude is akin to looking for a "role model" in a race-horse.

Many great athletes do not have stimulating personalities (and Andrew is a bit dull, in contrast to his brother) and so once they are in the lime light, they have the pressure to be something they are not given people such as yourself place an expectation upon them to be something they are not.

Drug use and dependency flourishes in sports, especially Australian sports including rugby league.

Watch the "Footy Show", which is about sex, drugs, rock-n-roll and gambling.

I once knew a person who went on to play rugby league for Australia. I recall the last time I spoke to him was 19 years ago. I had quit rugby league due to the drinking and gambling that was rife in the game and he went on, as he was then, to be a big drinker and play for Australia. For someone who is a supreme natural athlete, playing elite sports and drinking can occur concurrently. He wrapped his arm around me and said: "When are you going to have a go?", that is get fit and play professional rugby league with him, such was my ability.

For me, I was not interested.

Snacks. You appear not to understand how preventant drugs and alchohol are in sports.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.