I assume you are asking about my comment on his diagnosis being...

1. 4,908 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 381
    I assume you are asking about my comment on his diagnosis being drug induced.

He fits the profile and I am okay with working out things like that. He was healthy at one stage, very much doubt he was on anti-psychotics whilst surfing, they are not pleasant and it takes a very motivated individual to stay active on them.

You look at his weight loss, his gait whilst on the rampage, witness accounts in relation to his eyes. It all paints a picture. The fact that he was a schizophrenic would make the effects of drugs worse but schizophrenia on its own it rarely creates a mass murderer, quite the opposite, it makes you a recluse. Bipolar would be a higher risk of creating a mass murderer than schizophrenia. The other issue is if you are diagnosed with schizophrenia you are assigned a case worker. How was he allowed to travel to NSW without being reassigned and who was checking up on him.

I would say he shot up, shortly before entering the mall hence why he was staggering, possibly a cocktail of drugs in his system including heroin and meth, and he most likely suffered some form of psychosis shortly after. He probably scored at the same time he got the money to eat.

That said, it appears he fantasised about an ability to kill, alot of people who have a mental illness lack people skills or just do not like or want to be around others and live out stoic fantasies in their heads, sometimes pleasant, sometimes pure evil. These fantasies become self-fulfilling to a certain point in that if they ever become reality it is like you have practised them in a drill 100 times. Hence why he appeared so calculated and calm and managed to inflict so much damage.

If he was a diagnosed schizophrenic then perhaps he was let down by the system, and this could have been avoided, lets wait and see, but I do not need a toxicology report to tell me that he was not on drugs at the time. If anything, the tox report will be covered up as it is not a good look for the police. It is much easier to blanket these tragedies with a taboo word, like 'mental illness'.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.