We just had the World's Hottest Day!, page-142

1. 18,492 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 409
    The plumbers mindset or group think...yes this would be a generally conservatives hangout, older people with money

Most peoples minds are hard to change, the brain doesnt like to change its beliefs as it needs to rejig and question itself

Talking the way you do if you dont want to change anyones minds thats up to you, but you may actually be helping them cement their positions more, or you dont care about that?

No doubt you are aware of the below
    The backlash effect

When doubts do creep in, they can have a paradoxical effect, leading people to dig in their heels even more.

“The attacks against Trump have taught me something about myself,” one Donald Trump supporter told blogger and entrepreneur Sam Altman. “I have defended him and said things I really didn’t believe or support because I was put in a defensive position.”

Research bears out the idea that arguers’ outward insistence may be inversely related to their actual conviction. In one Northwestern University study, the less confident people felt in their opinions about hot-button issues (whether animal testing is OK, for instance), the more they labored to convince others of their chosen view.

Cutting out contempt doesn’t mean tiptoeing around the issues: It’s healthy to lay out exactly how you differ with someone else and express your disappointment, or even devastation, with particular views they hold. The key is to remain in the debate zone rather than crossing the line into not-so-veiled disgust.
    No matter how high-minded your intentions, it can be tempting to turn any dialogue on the issues into a game of one-upmanship.
    But asking questions—and showing a genuine desire to hear and acknowledge the answers—sets a different tone that boosts the odds of a productive resolution, or at least a friendlier stalemate that inspires further thought and discussion. Persuasion that endures isn’t a one-sided sales job, but a fertile exchange—one in which your own thinking may evolve in ways you hadn’t expected.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.