@thirdgo what i have done is set aside one particular room which...

1. 61 Posts.

@thirdgo what i have done is set aside one particular room which i use to study + trade, basically an office type room. And with rent I just calculate 1/3 of the rent as I classify myself as a 'trader' so claim 1/3 of the rent as I use 1/3 of the house for business purpose (share trading). Electricity i use approx 25%, internet up to 50%. I have to show a % of use as personal usage otherwise ATO might question that "where is your residency then?" "electricity usage, internet personal use???" etc.......
    I normally put all the bills in my quickbooks and post %of personal use as personal a/c and the business goes in business a/c so at the end of the year it's just one P&L to look at. Also, if its profit > add to taxable income from day job, if loss > claim as deduction to reduct taxable income...

I have not been doing day trading but like trading during my lunch breaks hia and there... but if it goes well, might go PT on day job and PT on share trading....

Also, with accountants the more questions u ask the better it is...will see if i can make a checklist/cheatsheet for deductions for HC users. I am a newbie and learning alot on HC and wouldn't mind helping/contributing from my side to fellow HC family.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.