XJO 0.10% 7,767.5 s&p/asx 200

That's funny GJ. I wrote a programme decades ago that doubled...

1. 1,842 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 43
    That's funny GJ.

I wrote a programme decades ago that doubled down on a loss on roulette red or black. Starting at 5$ bets with a $500 limit as was the norm in Perth at the time. the programme made 10 bets a second. I always lost because once the bet reach $320 I had no more capacity to double and would inevitably lose. The solution was to then go to another table (in the programme) which took $640 bets and so on and so on. Well of course, this was impractical in reality so I programmed to have several players co ordinated over several tables. The results were staggering. The winnings were so big, they couldn't fit on the screen. Billions. But that was a programme running thousands of bets.

Zero would wipe out the stake on the table but overall, the takings were substantial.

I tried it a few years ago with the infamous 'My crappy portfolio', but I lacked the mental discipline and my stake wasn't big enough to stick with the rules of doubling....and as Redbacka reminds us. The market can stay nuts longer than we can remain solvent. But doubling down on stocks should work over long enough time scale and with enough stocks. Just very very scary. Even if you started doing it with Atlas at $4.. If you followed the rules of doubling down, even to the 22c now, you would be ahead. You'd own Atlas outright. Haha.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.