There are teachers, and then there are guides. A guide is just...

1. 93 Posts.
    There are teachers, and then there are guides. A guide is just someone who is down the road a bit farther than you, but is still polishing their technique and doesn't claim to know it all. It is up to the student to do the practice to get the benefits.

I've been studying and teaching particular oriental arts for decades. You find a certain approach that is in line with your philosophy and you practice with and study those who have been doing it longer than you and help those who have been doing less. There are types who come to you wanting to learn how to do the "monkey dance", they want to know how to win a fight in the "street". You see the monkey dance all the time in places of high alcohol consumption and on the roads we drive in the form of road rage. These prospective students want to place themselves at great risk to pump their ego and prove they are superior to the rest of us, they want to put their lives on the line to feel good about themselves. They want to know how many fights you've been in and appraise the approach according to how much it has "won". They are told they can be taught to not be somewhere where there is violence and to be aware of their surroundings to avoid death. They can be taught to focus on survival and reducing exposure to injury in high-risk situations. This is risk management and planning. Always being aware, knowing where the exits are, being in control and not losing it when the monkeys arrive. They usually go to a McDojo or do cage fighting.

In trading there is an approach called Wyckoff that is based on simple well thought out principles and is an art to be polished. I prefer to seek guidance from those who are further down the path than I am. They don't have to be right, in fact I watch for how they handle being wrong more than being right. I would prefer to avoid street fights to stroke the ego and be "right" and "correct" and shout about it on forums, rather concentrate on being aware and have plans of action when the **** hits the fan.

There is a tendency in humans to want to be correct. We test in schools and praise students when they get it right. They're not taught how to plan for being wrong unless they go into something like being an airline pilot.

When it comes to TA I'd much rather think about the areas on a chart where the risk is least if it goes wrong and the reward is the greatest if it goes right — it isn't about predicting an outcome but planning for many outcomes. Quizzes are fun and can be educational and I certainly like to think about them, but we should beware the culture of right is good and wrong is bad.

I'd like to note that Jako is very good guide for anyone who is interested in TA.
    Last edited by Incongruous: 19/08/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.