@sreeve Commiserations from another chart user. 45 years ago I...

1. 982 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 25
    @sreeve

Commiserations from another chart user.

45 years ago I met the son of a key WW2 military leader and my conversations with him inspired a lifelong interest in 20th century military history.

Eisenhower always fascinated me and his Crusade in Europe book has a gem of wisdom on page 27. It reads: "Anger cannot win. It cannot even think clearly". I think of Ike every time those novices on HotCopper get angry. (Of course, Ike would know. His key opponent drove his Generals with anger. I'm currently reading Kay Summersby's excellent book covering her 3 years of service with Ike in the 40s and she describes those abundant necessary qualities of calmness that Ike possessed for sound decision making. (They always used charts.)

In the 90s I delved into Eastern Philosophy and the great learning there was that sound observation and deduction comes from a quiet mind.

More recently a cardiologist set in concrete for me that a narrative from any patient may be objective but can be also quite subjective. Often a component of fear and anxiety muddies the picture . A chart (ECG) is used to find some truths.

Good psychology is everything in this game and novices usually learn that last.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.