VPG 0.00% $1.79 vodafone group plc.

For those interested in figuring out the true average price of...

1. 1,335 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    For those interested in figuring out the true average price of parcels of different numbers and prices, here is how you do it:

Open an Excel spreadsheet.....OK? (If you can't do this part, you're pretty likely not going to be able to do the next bit....:-)

Use columns A,B,C at the top of the sheet.

For A, call it "units"
    For B, call it "Cost/Unit"
    For C, call it "Total cost"

With me?

Enter the number of units for a purchase, the price you paid, and then multiply A x B to give you the total cost.

Do this for each successive parcel.

Just for an example, let's make the first purchase (Column A) 100,000 units at (Column B) .05 cents.

Now, if you multiply 100,000 by .05, you will see a figure in column C of 5000...do this by typing = and then click on the first cell and then type a * and then click on the second cell...

Repeat this for the second example. Buy another 100,000 units at .087. Column C will be 8700

I can teach you how to make that multiplication process automatic on your spreadsheet, but it's gonna cost you.... :-)
    Now comes the formula part:

Pick an empty cell below what you've just done.
    In the cell you have selected, type: =SUMPRODUCT(B1:B2,C1:C2)/SUM(C1:C2)

When you press your enter or return button, it will produce the figure: .07349635

Now, you could've done that without the formula, right? But here's the beautiful thing....change the figure in column A from 100,000 to 200,000 for the parcel you bought at .087....watch the magic happen now...

0.078741071 is the average price of all the shares you bought.

If you buy more parcels at other prices, you just add those cells in all the relevant places and this formula works.

Hope that that hasn't produced migraines in the far corners of Oz.....
    G'nite from Perth.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VPG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.