Rabbitoh, I think you will find that the bulk of people on...

1. 11,213 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Rabbitoh,

I think you will find that the bulk of people on disability pensions don't have any alternative. Don't forget those who are mentally incapacitated...maybe you can blame our health system which saves premature babies weighing as little as 500 grams. Autism has shown a marked increase since the seventies, spasticity has also become more common, women having children at a later age has led to an increase in Down's Syndrome. More people survive serious car accidents than in the past due to improvements such as seat belts and design features, but many still left with long-term damage. Another area which I'd expect probably contributes would come from cyclists who tend to get serious brain injuries when knocked off their bikes. Then there are the adrenaline junkies who will do just about anything to keep themselves on edge so can surmise that some of these people end up in a bad way. Don't remember people of my generation having the wealth to participate in some of these sports at all.

Last but not least is those who suffer from serious psychiatric illnesses.

If you have a bad back it is very, very difficult to claim disability for the rest of your working life.

People with good health should be grateful not to have to rely on a measly pension of a few hundred dollars a week.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.