Well, I have to eat my words

1. 16,367 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 137
    A meal I find unpalatable but very frequently on the table
    This time it's what I've had to say about Peter Dutton in the past. I can't remember my words exactly and I am not a dog that goes round looking for leftovers, but I do remember I wrote him off as a Liberal leader and not Prime Ministerial material.
    But I do believe now he's matured in the position of Opposition Leader and is looking more prime ministerial by the week.
    There are probably a few things that have made me change my mind. Maybe the first is in fact his opposite number who, I believe, has been sinking steadily in the public perception since The Voice (sounds like something out of a spooky tv show), and now is a shadow of the person who won the last election.
    But it's more than just the shrinking of Albo.
    The bold step he has taken with the nuclear option shows us someone who is not afraid of walking through a minefield. It is a policy judgement easier to attack - the usual combat squads probably couldn't believe their good luck - than it is to defend. But to give him credit, he has stood up there and faced down the usual suspects with conviction, something that raises him in my opinion.
    He believes it's a good option - and so do I - and he's not afraid to cop the flack. Not that he should be,. Many countries have nuclear power stations and are building more. It is part of a diversified power source just as coal is and as renewables are. The smart countries don't put all their eggs in one basket.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.