LYC 0.16% $6.29 lynas rare earths limited

west australia will not lynas waste from m'sia, page-9

1. 243 Posts.
    New here, sorry if I’m barging in on a thread inappropriately, I’m just making a post in regard to the headline.

Why would Malaysia insist waste be taken to Australia? Wouldn't removing it from Malaysia be good enough? I'm afraid there has been some misunderstanding. Here is a direct quote from AELB Director Aziz at his 2-16-12 press conference, "When I say Australia, its Lynas Australia. I'm not talking about the government of Australia." No, Malaysia is not trying to dictate where Lynas takes waste. Sovereignty still ends at borders.

The water leach purification (WLP) residue is only about 30% of the total. I’m sure this article from the Malaysian Insider has been quoted before since it is from Jan 16, but I feel it is pertinent today because it leads me to believe there will be limited or no need whatsoever to export any residue.

“According to Lynas, refining rare earth ore from Mount Weld, West Australia will result in three forms of residue, two of which have a radiation level of below 1 Becquerel per gramme (Bq/g) which is considered non-radioactive and outside of regulatory control by both international and local authorities.
    However, its water leach purification (WLP) residue is projected to have a radiation level of 6 Bq/g, which is regarded as “very low-level” radioactive waste.

Professor Ismail Bahari, the company’s radiological safety adviser, said Lynas was “very confident” it can dilute the WLP to below 1 Bq/g to be used as a base in road building.
    “The public has been poisoned with misguided information that you cannot work with any level of radiation. But even if you mix it (WLP) with 10 times the amount in soil, it is already at ground level (radiation),” the former Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia radiology professor said.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.29
Change
-0.010(0.16%)
Mkt cap ! $5.879B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.34 $6.37 $6.29 $15.63M 2.473M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1079 $6.29

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.31 10515 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 17/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.