Have had Humpback females using my boat as a shield against...

1. 29,099 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 250
    Have had Humpback females using my boat as a shield against amorous males, shadowing my boat while I’ve been pulling crap pots for over a hour.

Have stopped the boat, turned off the electronics/sounder and mum plus calf moved in to within a metre or so of the marlin board.

Could have almost touched them, they stayed hovering at the back of the boat for a good ten minutes.

On a recreational boat about 20kms off the coast we had a Pygmy Right Whale following us as we move to various fishing spot’s.

As a kid when I went out fishing with my dad I would be lucky to see a few humpback each year but over the last couple of decades I could witness over a hundred breaches a day on a regular basis.

Once I even single handedly re floated a whale off the beach (a dwarf sperm whale).

I do have one question that I always ask the people who try to milk money out of me “to save the whales “ “ how much a kilo is a whale worth “?

None have ever been able to answer that question but it’s a great way to get them to stop pestering me

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.