what are memories, page-47

1. 369 Posts.
    Yes it can all get rather interesting once we start looking at differences across individuals, Jantimot. And looking at case studies is often the best way for us to explore how memory works (so long as such can be generalised to the wider population).

In Quinlan & Dyson (2008) text they refer to a single case study by Piccirilli, Sciarma, and Luzzi (2000).
    "In December 1997, a 20-year-old male was referred to Piccirilli et al. (2000) complaining of the onset of violent headaches, which were also accompanied by the onset of a language disorder. After a brain scan, the patient was shown to have a haematoma (a blood clot) in the left temporal region of the brain (just above the ear). After treatment, damage to the brain was found at the site of the haematoma. While substantial improvement was observed for the language disorder that initially indicated the presence of the haematoma, the patient began to complain: 'Sounds are empty and cold. Singing sounds like shouting to me. When I hear a song, it sounds familiar at first but then i can't recognise it' (p.542).
    Piccirrilli et al then sought to investigate whether the patient was suffering from amusia. They concluded that damage in the left superior temporal gyrus was related to a specific deficit in pitch perception experienced by the patient. But they found that other domains related to music perception (i.e. timbre, rhythm) were not damaged... and that therefore the processing of music appears to be modular, with individual modules being responsible for pitch, timbre and rhythm" (quoted extract from Quinlan & Dyson, 2008, p. 50).

So indeed it seems that for music there is involvement of different memory 'systems' or what cognitive psych's refer to as 'modules'.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.