XJO 0.01% 7,683.0 s&p/asx 200

Hi Zonetrader, I really appreciate your thoughts and the...

1. 1,860 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 50
    Hi Zonetrader, I really appreciate your thoughts and the detailed reply.

Much of what you say aligns with my thinking but with a few new ideas in there. Gamma I had ignored for the moment but thanks for the tip on how to think about it. Open Interest I found hard to apply on stocks as the market is a bit thin anyway, but thanks for the tip for Index options.

Karen of Tasty does wide Index Short Strangles on three major indices in the US, set about 2 Standard deviations from the money. It appears a very profitable strategy but risky. I think she made her big money during the GFC years when volatility was exceptionally high. But it wouldn’t surprise me if she blew up her account if another 1987 style market crash occurs. For me I’ve decided its too risky to do Naked Options due to potential outlier events that will occur on all markets, particularly with current distortions around the world. I wonder how many forex traders had equivalent naked type positions over the Swiss Franc in recent days. A better approach appears to be wide wings on those types of trades, with the long position just giving some insurance against outlier events. See Tasty’s “Big Boy Iron Condors”

Butterflies are interesting but I heard they were lower probability of profit trades. Also not the starting point for me I don’t think but will get to them. The key to Options trading of all types seems to be to get to a level of competence to be able to adjust positions properly as you allude to with your Butterflies, by putting on additional positions. I’m not there yet.

My understanding is that Option traders are generally all about trading volatility, rather than direction. However I have a well-developed technical/charting approach and will always take a directional view and so I think I can use this to get closer to the money with selling strategies and maybe make it work. But I’ve been surprised at how hard it is to find viable positions with reasonable risk reward. It sounds like that’s a shared experience.

My conclusion so far with Options is firstly, that you need to be expert in this not just competent, through paper trading or whatever, before you can be profitable. Secondly its about finding trades with small edges and margins to scratch out a return rather than any easy low hanging fruit.

The other understanding I have with Options is money management is even more important than with other forms of trading I’ve done. Written positions to be 2-3% of portfolio only and diversified, uncorrelated positions as much as possible. Lots of small position to allow the probabilities to work in your favour. Nevertheless I can see how you could creep lots of small gains and then wipe it out with a big loss.

Anyway, lots of thoughts here on all this. Really great to hear the experiences of another trader trying to do this on our market.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.