what are rudd's and the alp's policies? , page-16

1. 27,316 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 82
    "Since when has a Lefty ever wanted to know how something is funded?"

Well actually I was quoting some liberals.

COALITION MPs have broken ranks on Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme, calling on the Opposition Leader to justify why the policy is needed

Liberal backbenchers Alex Hawke and Mal Washer questioned the desire for such a generous scheme in the current economic circumstances.

Mr Hawke, in an article for the Institute of Public Affairs, called on his party to dump the policy and said it was an expensive program which wasn't affordable.

He said concern over the scheme was "widespread".

Dr Washer said the state of the nation's economy was vastly different now to when the policy was first announced in 2010 and it could be a burden on productivity.

Mr Abbott's paid parental leave will pay a woman's full salary for six months and will be funded by a 1.5 per cent levy on the top 3000 businesses.

"I think we ought to relook at it," Dr Washer told News Limited.
    "I think it's time Tony (Abbott), Joe (Hockey) and Andrew (Robb) address the party room and indicate how it is going to improve productivity. At the moment, the economic situation is quite dire compared to when it was first proposed so I'm not sure it can work."

The comments from the two MPs represented the first public show of dissent from within the Coalition ranks after months of discipline in the lead up to the September 14 election.

But Mr Abbott brushed off the concerns and said his policy would remain to the election.

"This has been our policy now for more than three years ... I'm totally committed to it and so is the party," he said.

Labor was quick to jump on the political wrangling.

Families Minister Jenny Macklin said successful women earning $150,000 were not "ordinary" and Mr Abbott's paid parental leave scheme - much more generous than the current minimum wage payment from Labor - would reward them with cash payments of $75,000 to have a baby.

"Tony Abbott's colleagues are openly admitting that his plan is unfair," Ms Macklin said. "They know it rewards high flying bank executives and lawyers with $75,000 to have a baby at the expense of ordinary working women.

"And they admit his tax on business will drive up prices at the checkout."
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/special-features/abbott-under-pressure-on-leave-policy/story-fnho52jo-1226636332776

Raider

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.