RRS 0.00% 0.1¢ range resources limited

Look has appeared on the South African...

1. 175 Posts.
    Look has appeared on the South African Press:-

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20080730060340236C119593

Karyn Maughan, July 30 2008 at 07:22AM

The Australian businessman wanted in South Africa for the murder of Brett Kebble has launched a scathing attack on the slain magnate's "selfish" father.

Kebble's former business partner, John Stratton, 74, believes Roger Kebble is heading a "vicious" campaign against him, to the detriment of his son's widow and four children.

In a four-page statement released exclusively to The Star on Tuesday, Stratton commented for the first time on Roger Kebble's court bid to sue him for R8,5-million for the upkeep of his slain son's children.

Describing Kebble's Cape High Court case against him as "astonishing in both its construction and motive", Stratton stated: "It is sad that Mr Roger Kebble saw fit to draw uninvited and unwanted attention to Brett's family for his own selfish purpose.

"(It) is clear that the application is without merit and vexatious in an attempt to harass me, particularly in light of the fact that it is not supported by the guardian of his grandchildren."

Brett Kebble's widow Ingrid has told The Star she had nothing to do with her father-in-law's application, in which he claimed she wasn't able to fully provide for her children's needs.

It is understood that she and Stratton, who Brett Kebble reportedly regarded as a father figure, remain on good terms.

In his statement, Stratton also strongly suggested that Roger Kebble bankrolled the production of the Australian Four Corners documentary on his business dealings with Brett Kebble, as well as the murder claims against him. The programme was recently aired on Carte Blanche.

"I believe that certain parties, including Mr Roger Kebble and others, are substantially involved in this campaign to impugn my character.

"I am also advised that Mr Roger Kebble has retained the services of Mr Paul O'Sullivan (the former Airports Company SA boss who is now suing National Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi for R42-million), who was responsible for much of the liaison and substantial funding arrangements which went into the planning of the Four Corners programme."

He added: "Following my return to Australia (in August 2006), I voluntary took part in an interview with investigating officers of the SA Police Service. The interview was conducted under the auspices of the Australian Federal Police.

"During this interview there was no suggestion that I was regarded as a suspect by the South African police in the death of Mr Kebble.

"I wish to state clearly that I knew nothing about Mr Kebble's death or the circumstances surrounding such, and that I was not involved therein in any way.

"I understand that no charges have been laid against me, that no warrant for my arrest has been issued and that no request for my extradition has been made to the Australian authorities."

Stratton also "categorically" denied that he was involved in an attack on Allan Gray investment officer Stephen Mildenhall.

He concluded his statement by saying: "I do not wish to return to South Africa for reasons of personal safety and also my need of medical attention in Perth, Western Australia."

Stratton is currently involved in a Constitutional Court bid to challenge SA's extradition treaty with Australia, under which the Scorpions want to bring him to SA to stand trial for Kebble's murder.

His co-accused in the killing, Glenn Agliotti, has suggested in court documents that Kebble's death was an "assisted suicide".

This article was originally published on page 3 of The Star on July 30, 2008

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RRS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.