MRV 0.00% 0.3¢ moreton resources ltd

Value depends on what happens to Tarong North power station?...

1. 761 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Value depends on what happens to Tarong North power station?
    Tarong North - 443MW, ultra-super critical very high efficiency black coal power station, life expectancy 2035
    Problem is that black coal power stations can't compete economically against brown coal in Victoria.
    Meandu coal mine supplying Tarong has 'discovered' extra coal so less need for more coal in surrounding area
    Solution would be to
    -put in a carbon cost (brown coal burns at lower temperature so less Canot efficiency) thereby giving the advantage to black coal while reducing total carbon output
    -add a transmission distance cost to the NEM so that Qld power stations close to the natural gas liquification plants at Gladstone can capitalize on lower transmission losses
    -cost of new coal power stations now in excess of that of solar and wind/kWhr so that tilts economics in favour of extending life of existing power stations (including Tarong) over new builds, especially to supply the overnight loads that solar/storage will not be ready to fill for decades.

Overall, MRV acquisition of the mine supplying a captive user (no rail to Tarong, poor roads) is a logical and long-term positive move for MRV

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MRV (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.