what happens when tenant walks

1. 6,066 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 294
    Signing a lease to rent a property is a contract and has penalties and recourse in the event of either party breaching the terms of the contract. If a tenant decides to break a lease the correct way then they notify the agent and the agent attempts to relet premises. All costs such as new letting fee and advertising or loss of rent are liable to be paid by the tenant. If a tenant decides to do a runner as some on here suggest then the following happens. The bond of 4 weeks rent is not released. The landlord will attempt to get new tenant as soon as possible. If runner cannot be found the agency applies to release bond proceeds to landlord. The landlord can go to magistrates court and try to recover any other expenses if tenant not present then magistrate will rule in owners way.

If you do a runner then the chances are you will lose all of the bond money, you will go on the realestate bodies bad tenant register and never get a rental Australia wide from a pro agency. Has happened to me twice once we found the tenant before starting proceedings and the parents paid all outstanding monies to retain good rating.
    Other time tenants taken to court and issued order to pay back money, they pleaded hardship and paid back at $20 per week which they never paid. I got a debt collection agency to chase up but nothing. Twice they have approached me to make a deal because they have been refused rentals and no credit company will touch then. I lost $2000 but their history is stuffed. Not sure who has access to their history they do not work so no problem with future employers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.