what if this was done to gillard and swan!

1. 7,659 Posts.
    How would the ABC & Fairfax report this if it was done to Gillard & Swan?

Students burn Tony Abbott effigy, chase Joe Hockey in heated protest outside Parliament

STUDENTS have clashed with police in a dramatic protest outside Victoria's Parliament this afternoon over proposed federal funding cuts to higher education.

The protesters burnt an effigy of Prime Minister Tony Abbott and threw shoes at Liberal Party headquarters in a rally against proposed federal funding cuts to higher education.

About 100 student protesters gathered outside parliament house in Spring St before the group marched into the city.

Some protesters chased Treasurer Joe Hockey who appeared on Spring Street around lunchtime.

The protest was organised by the National Union of Students, whose members recently sent hundreds of angry emails to Education Minister Christopher Pyne.

"Five people have been arrested following a protest in the CBD this afternoon," Victoria Police spokeswoman Natalie Webster said.

"It's alleged several police members were assaulted during the incident, including one member who was allegedly punched to the face by a protester.
    "He is currently receiving treatment in hospital for minor facial injuries.

"It's alleged some protesters also threw shoes and chalk at police and burned items in the street.

"Three men and two women are currently in custody and are assisting police with their inquiries.

First Nations Students Officer at La Trobe University Jay Wymarra said he was arrested and charged with arson for burning a cardboard cutout of Abbott.

"What they did was arrest me, shove me to the ground, put their knees in my neck and drag me away from the protest as far as they could," he said

http://www.news.com.au/national/students-burn-tony-abbott-effigy-chase-joe-hockey-in-heated-protest-outside-parliament/story-fncynjr2-1226749918038

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.